Sunday, November 25, 2007

Frozen Turkey Day Run

So, until I married Heather I had no idea that Thanksgiving Day races even existed. The big thing in her family is for at least someone in the family to run the Turkey Trot (10K) in Mesa Thanksgiving morning. I've made it a goal to some day actually run this race. One of my friends in Colorado talked me into running the Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K (his company is one of the sponsors so he could get me in for free). I haven't run in quite a long time, but I agreed nonetheless. We only started training for this race about 6 weeks before it started, but we were confident that we could at least finish. Well, Thanksgiving morning came around and so did the below freezing temperatures (the high for the day was only going to be 32 degrees). The race started at 9:00 am and it was bitter cold. I have never run anywhere with so many layers on. Despite the cold, I did finish the race (under 40 minutes which was my only goal). I think running a 5K in below freezing is somewhat equivalent to a 10K in Arizona, right?

3 comments:

Jill said...

Way to go! The weather would discourage me from even taking a step outside.

Mom said...

I'm very impressed! I think it should be my goal to participate in a race some day!

Kimberly said...

I am impressed!!! I wouldn't have even wanted to go outside, none the less participate in a 5k...way to go!!